Late Summer + Early Fall Are Perfect for Wine Tasting in the Smokies
Here are some great reasons to travel the Rocky Top Wine Trail now, which will take you through the foothills of the Smoky Mountains this fall season to Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.
1. It’s teacher appreciation month. All 5 wineries on the Rocky Top Wine Trail, will be giving a 15% discount on wine to all school employees during the entire month of September! Bring in a current school badge or paycheck stub to receive your discount.
2. Wine On The Lawn happens at Hillside Winery on September 19th. Sample our delicious wine at our inside tasting bar, buy your favorite(s), and then join the food, music and fun outside in our backyard. Guests at Smoky Mountain Resorts (The Resort or Governors Inn) can hear the tunes while sipping our wine from their balcony.
3. It’s harvest time in Tennessee, so the 40 to 50 grape growers we partner with across the state will be arriving almost daily with truckloads of grapes. We’ll be crushing and pressing them at Mountain Valley Winery and Hillside Winery, so your winery tours can be more special and fun this September. Last year, we processed 1.4 million pounds of Tennessee grapes and turned them into award-winning wine for your enjoyment. Learn more about farm fresh, made in Tennessee products on the Pick Tennessee Products website. There’s even an app for that!
4. We’re helping baby bear cubs. Yep. You read that right. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is known for its iconic black bears. That’s one of the top 3 reasons that people visit the Smokies, along with the gorgeous fall color display that is on its way (get a Smokies fall color report from our friends at the Great Smoky Mountains Association).
On September 23rd from 5 to 7 PM, drop by Eagle Springs Winery for our ‘Cubby’ release party. $5 from every bottle sold of this extremely limited edition wine (only 1000 bottles are available) will benefit the nonprofit Appalachian Bear Rescue which rehabilitates orphaned and injured black bear cubs for reintroduction into their native forest habitat. What’s not to love?
5. Now or any time, you can choose to sample responsibly and select a designated driver to deliver you safely to each location on the Rocky Top Wine trail. But if you want a luxury experience, contact Elite Limos to arrange a special trip for everyone in your party who is 21 years of age or older.
There are two different limo tour options.
All tours will be scheduled through Elite Limo. (865) 456-0023.
Three Winery Tour
Available 7 days a week
Original Trail – Mountain Valley, Apple Barn, & Hillside
Five Winery Tour
Available Sunday through Thursday Only
All 5 wineries
Note: On Friday or Saturday, only the three winery tour for 3 hours is available.
Please, remember everyone in the limo must be 21 or older.
Must have valid ID.
Don’t forget you can travel the Rocky Top Wine Trail on your own! Just pick up a passport at your first stop.
6. Our Wine of the Month at each location is unique, different, and special- for only $11.00 per bottle you can buy a 3 pack!
Here are the special selections for each location-
Eagle Springs Winery– Mix + match a 3-pack of Honeymoon or Screaming Apricot for $33.00 plus tax
Apple Barn Winery– Apple Strawberry- 3 for $33
Hillside Winery– Strawberry Spumante- 3 for $33
Mountain Valley Winery– Blackberry- 3 for $33
Sugarland Cellars– Trillium- 3 for $33
7. Find your “Autumn Path” at Sugarland Cellars. This special Noble red muscadine wine is the 9th custom-label wine to benefit Friends of Great Smoky Mountains National Park with specially-created label art by Sevierville’s Robert A. Tino. Join us at the release party at the Robert A. Tino Gallery on September 27th. This series of handcrafted wines has raised $40,000 to help preserve and protect Great Smoky Mountains National Park since 2012.
Be part of something new- join the Sugarland Cellars Artist Series Wine Club so that you will never miss a debut of these special, limited edition seasonal wines. Four times each year (for $120 plus shipping) you will receive a 3-bottle shipment that will include two bottles of the Tino wine, autographed by Robert A. Tino, one bottle of Sugarland Cellars wine signed by our winemaker Doug Seitz, along with a limited edition print of the label image signed by Robert A. Tino. For complete details and signup info, contact Jennifer Parton, our Wine Club Manager, at (865) 389-9490.
9. It’s football time in Tennessee, and everywhere else, too. Our Assistant Manager at Eagle Springs Winery, Mr. J.D. Barr, says that their “Nectar” (honey-based wine blended with fresh mango) pairs perfectly with spicy chicken wings, which are a tailgaters favorite. Yum! Order 6 bottle lots from our shipping manager David Elrod if you need them right away- 866-453-6334
10. Visit Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg when traffic is at a minimum. The trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park are a great way to see the fall color, and you can enjoy your favorite Rocky Top Wine Trail wine at national park campgrounds and picnic areas after your hike!